Monday, September 15, 2008

Examine Self Daily

Tseng Tzu said, "There are three points on which I daily examine myself: have I been conscientious in working for others? Have I been truthful in my intercourse with my friends? Have I practised what I preach?" (from "Confucius Said it First," by Tehyi Hsieh, 1939).

Psalm 4:4 "Stand in awe, and sin not; commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still."

1 Corinthians 11:31, "For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged [by others. or God]."

Whether ancient Chinese or Jewish philosophers, or early Christians, wise people were careful to examine themselves--and they did it daily because each day we are a new person, our personalities evolving (or devolving) over time, each day's experiences adding another layer of self to that little core being that came from our mother's womb years or decades ago.

Each day, each experience, changes us, but for good or ill? It is amazing the changes that can overtake us if we are not on guard--even as a frog can be placed in a pot of cool water and boil to death quite contentedly and comfortably if the temperature is raised gradually.

We should examine ourselves daily, reflecting upon who we have become today, because unless we intervene that is who we shall be tomorrow as well, only more so.

And the best time for self-examination is first thing in the morning, before we hit the new day--or before that new day hits us. For years I thought I did not have time in the morning for reflection, but gradually I've learned that I don't have enough time not to reflect upon myself, and the day.

Proverbs 14:30, "A heart at peace gives life to the body."

Sunzi said, "Know yourself." Knowing who I am helps me to know what I should do--and this helps give me peace, perspective, and purpose. It gives me the freedom to know what I can and should do, and what I don't have to do. And then I can approach the new day with that "peace that passes all understanding."

Well...I have peace at least until I have to tackle driving in Chinese traffic.... (see "Darwinian Driving in China").

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!