Monday, April 13, 2009

Marmalade Tomorrows

Bill Brown ... Xiamen University
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

"I got the blues thinking of the future, so I left off and made some marmalade. It's amazing how it cheers one up to shred oranges and scrub the floor." D. H. Lawrence

I can easily be overwhelmed if I brood over my weekly schedule. In addition to teaching over 200 grad students, I have numerous other activities and responsibilities, in spite of my efforts to escape the contemporary cult of busyness. The trick is to schedule the week, but then take it one day at a time.

Don't worry, but Plan. When Jesus said to not worry about tomorrow, he did not mean to not even think about it. I would be an irresponsible father if I did not plan ahead in caring for my family. Jesus was simply warning against continually wallowing in worry. We should plan ahead, but not worry ahead. Take life as our Father gives it to us--a day at a time.

Getting Away From It, or Getting Into It Like Jesus, we need quiet times away from the crowds and tasks to recharge. We can approach it two ways. We can either get away from it all, or we can get into it with a different perspective. We can seek a peaceful place for prayer, or reading. Or, like D.H. Lawrence, we can take our minds off of the "big" worrying activities by immersing ourselves, for a time, in the "small" routine activities that make up our daily lives--the activities that brought a 17th century French monk closer to his Father.

Another Lawrence, Brother Lawrence (birthname Nicholas Herman), had a unique perspective on work and peace, and the excellent little book, "Practicing the Presence of God", was compiled from his quotes. He left military service to enter a monastery and chose to spend the rest of his life as a simple kitchen worker, and repairing sandals in his later years. Though not well educated, he attracted many people, even those of influence and power, because of his wisdom and profound sense of peace.

Leafless Lives Lawrence's life had been transformed when, as a soldier, he had seen a leafless tree in the cold of winter. He was struck with the vivid realization that this barren tree was simply waiting out the winter for God to breathe life into it in the spring. This simple site supernaturally impressed him with the insight that he too was waiting for God to breathe life into his own soul, and later he entered the monastery.

Work for God, or God in Work? Lawrence's days in the monastery were packed from dawn to dusk with work, as well as rites and rituals and spiritual practices for drawing near to God. But this simple man decided that the best way to experience God's presence and peace was not through artificially contrived ceremonies but through doing everyday routine tasks for God, and with God. Lawrence lived life as if there were only Him and God, and did everything, from kitchen work to picking up a piece of straw, for the love of God. And this focus brought Lawrence both purpose and peace.

Marmalade for God. Today, when I get stressed out, I'll take a break, clean up a bit (not too much, lest I shock my wife), trim a hedge, play my guitar a bit, and then go back to work. And whether I'm wielding hedge shears or keyboard, I'll do it with my Father, for my Father, not worrying overmuch about the pile of tasks I have ahead of me tomorrow. I will enjoy today, and if I'm going through a leafless winter, I know Spring is coming.
www.amoymagic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!