Friday, April 12, 2013

Amazon E-books --Instant Library for China!

 Ahoy from Amoy!

One of the things I really missed in the early years in China was having good English books.  We brought literally thousands from the U.S., and now probably have the largest library of its kind in our area (many borrow from it).  Still, even buying only used books, it gets expensive--but now our library is almost limitless!

I never thought I'd get used to eBooks, but now I love them because whenever I travel, I can carry a library of 100s of books on my phone.   I don't have a Kindle, but I did download the Kindle software to my Android phone (works with iPhone too), and now I can read Kindle books and they are kept synchronized with Amazon's Whispersync technology, so I can always pick up where I left off, whether on computer, my Samsung phone, or a pad.

It is absolutely amazing what one can buy on Amazon Kindle Store site--everything from modern books on special for free, or 99 cents, to great classics.  I've downloaded over 100 free books, including G. K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinis, (Summa Theologica) etc. I love Chesterton's Father Brown mysteries--think Sherlock Holmes, but instead of Holmes, its a dowdy priest with a shabby umbrella who bumbles around--solving the hardest of crimes. Quite a character. And I have James Hudson Taylor's long biography-- the two volume one -- which I bought for one dollar each (I have the originals, which my wife's father gave me, but they're a bit bulky to carry around).

Blessings,

Bill
P.S. The Everlasting Man is brilliant! Unfortunately, it is poorly formatted (typos, etc.), but I've found no better e-version of it, so still worth the 99 cents.And one of my favorite devotionals is the original 1980s version of Ogilvie's God's Best for my life."  Sadly, the eBook, like newer versions, is abridged, but still excellent. It is not, as the title sounds, a shallow "Prosperity preaching give me everything God, but you, book"  but solid teaching--a mini sermon each day." Still--if you can, get a used copy (as low as 63 cents on Amazon!) of the old version (I use both the old version and the Kindle version when I travel).

Bill Brown Xiamen University www.amoymagic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!