Monday, April 3, 2017

Are You God's Avatar? अवतार

We are God's avatars अवतार,  avatāraAhoy from Amoy (historic Xiamen, China).

अवतार: Gideon was God's "avatar", but why use a Sanskirt term (which means "earthly manifestation of a deity")? Unfamiliar words sometimes give fresh insight on verses we know so well we take them for granted. The same goes for reading the Bible in different languages. I'm amazed at insights from reading the Bible in Chinese, Hebrew or Greek (the last 2 are pretty rusty). Consider John's "Tao."
太初有道道屿神同在到就是神 Tao in Gospel of John Heavenly Way अवतार,  avatāra
Tao in Genesis? John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word," in Chinese reads, "Taichu you Tao" (太初有道): "Beginning was Tao." And yes, it's the same "Tao" as Taoism, but it means "The Way"--a Chinese concept that far predates Taoism, Confucianism and every other ism. Since ancient times, Chinese from the Emperor down spoke of One God and the Tiandao (天道, Way of Heaven). Taichu you Tao: 3 powerful words that convey much to Chinese believers, and to me as well. Avatar is also eye-opening.

"Avatar" (अवतार,  avatāra) for most people brings to mind the movie about humans wearing alien bodies to interact in an alien world, but I learned to appreciate it almost 40 years ago in grad school while helping with research by Dr. Paul Hiebert, who was born to 2nd generation Mennonite missionaries in India (read about his "excluded middle"). The idea of an "Avatar" reminds me of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin's words, "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience". We spiritual beings have this human experience through mortal bodies--avatars. And even more exciting, if we allow Him, our Heavenly Father will Himself live and work in and through us. In fact, He works no other way than through us. 

Gideon was God's avatar अवतार,  avatāra

St. Augustine's Avatar: 1600 years ago, St. Augustine wrote, "Without God, we cannot; without us, God will not". Gideon is a  perfect example.

Gideon was an abject coward threshing wheat behind the wine press when the Angel of the Lord said, "The Lord is with you, you might man of valor!" [Did the angel snicker or just stick to his script?]

Even an angel of the Lord wasn't enough for Gideon. He insisted on two fleeces--and would have asked for a dozen fleeces had he known God would have 300 men attack 120,000 with nothing more than lanterns and trumpets (though after hearing our neighbor's son practice trumpet, I can see how 300 novice trumpeters could decimate an army).

Wearing Gideon  After God had whittled Gideon's army down to 300, Judges 6:34 [ESV] tells us, "And the spirit of the Lord clothed Himself in Gideon, and he sounded the trumpet..." God put Gideon on like a cloak and fought the Midianites through Gideon just as we might battle in a PC Game through an avatar. But unlike computer avatars, we have a choice.  

We are God's avatar अवतार,  avatāra

Still, Small Voice--not Control Unlike computer avatars, which we control, our Father leads us through His still, small voice. If we're attuned to Him, that Voice can steer us through our mortal messes as surely as a tiny rudder turns a mighty ship even in the roughest seas. We need only heed that voice--or pray when we don't hear it. And happily, His spirit within us will even tell us how to pray (Rom. 8:26).

Emergency Override? Though we are not "controlled," during several emergencies in my life, I
We are God's avatars emergency override joystick  अवतार,  avatāra earth planet
reacted in ways that later I did not remember--that seemed impossible, in fact, but they saved me. It seems He knew I'd reached my limit and took over, but just for a moment, even as I would yank my own sons from a fire. But He interceded because years ago I asked Him to.

When I was a child, the Biblical stories of Gideon, Joseph and David were vividly real to me, and I naively believed that God would do for me what He did for them. To this day I'm just as naive--and He's never proved me wrong. 

"What are your goals in life?" many have asked me. I answer, "To do whatever my Father has set before me each day--no more and no less." It is a joyful approach to life because it gives me a deep sense of Purpose, knowing that my Creator and Father lives in me, and through me, His gentle hand guiding my own as I myself wield my avatar's JoyStick down paths that I could never have imagined.

I am God's avatar--Him in and through me अवतार,  avatāraAvatars, not Deities! Lastly, I should note that being God's avatars, "manifestations of deities," does not make us God.  But as the Bible says, God manifests himself in this world in us and through us.

2 Cor. 4:10b (KJV), "that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body."

1 Cor. 4: 9-13, 9 "By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him...By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit."

We "have this treasure in earthen vessels." May that Treasure live and work in us, His earthly vessels/avatars, this day and every day--and enjoy the ride!

I am God's avatar--Him in and through me अवतार,  avatāra Indiana Jones Indiana Bill
Enjoy the Adventure! For decades, people have played games from Boardwalk and Monopoly to simulations (remember SIM City?) and role playing games. But what could be more exciting than being His avatar and playing the role that He chose for us before the foundations of the earth (Ephesians 1:4 & 11, Romans. 8:29, Jeremiah 1:5.). Not even Indiana Jones has anything on our Father's children. I've not achieved many of my dreams (thankfully, in retrospect), but I've done things I never dreamed of. Him in me is far more exciting, and fulfilling, than just me in me.

Blessings from Amoy!

Dr. Bill 
A Few Avatar Verses:
1 Cor. 3:16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
Ezekiel 36:27 "I will put My Spirit within you..."
2 Timothy 1:14 ...the Holy Spirit who dwells in us"
Romans 8:11  He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
Romans 8:9  However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.
Romans 8:15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"
Galatians 4:6  Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"

School of Management, Xiamen University
Amazon eBook
"Discover Xiamen"
www.amoymagic.com

Bill Brown Xiamen University www.amoymagic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!