Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pressing Forward without the Baggage

Bill Brown ... Xiamen University
"Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do; forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13,14

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

In our action-oriented society it is easy to relate to the "press on" part, but "forgetting what lies behind" is much more difficult--yet until we abandon the baggage that weighs us down we will never press forward.

It is odd that I can remember my parents' mistakes much more easily than I can the good that they did during my 18 years at home. And psychology says that is common. In fact, we all tend, quite naturally, to overestimate others faults and underestimate our own. But I can also remember my own faults quite easily. In fact, I don't have to remember them; they pop up of their own accord.

When younger, I promised myself that I would be a better parent than my own, and not make their mistakes. I may have avoided some of their mistakes but I have certainly come up with my own mistakes and errors, and it is hard to put them behind me. Part of it is guilt (how could I?) and part is fear (can my family really accept me, knowing me as well as they do?), and part is worry (will I fail again?). I've failed in so many ways that it is depressing just to write about it. But at least I'm in good company.

Biblical heroes were invariably just like me (and maybe you)--great failures who, in spite of their enormous faults, pressed on and eventually reached the prize. Noah, the one rightous man before the flood, afterwards was a drunkard. Joseph was arrogant. Moses had a hot temper and murdered an Egyptian. Jacob was a slippery cheat. Abraham, great man of faith and father of Israel (and the Arabs as well), was a coward, hiding behind his wife's skirts not once but twice. David, God's "friend", committed adultery, and murder to cover it up. Peter, the "rock," was impetuous and weak-willed. Thomas doubted. Paul got depressed. And on and on.

I too have a past, and it can easily haunt me, reminding me that I've failed before and probably will again. And it is true--I probably will fail again, but they will be new mistakes, and hopefully I will learn from them, as I have learned from some of my past errors. We learn through overcoming, and pressing on.

So today I'm forgetting what is behind me (again, and I'll probably have to forget it again tomorrow, maybe even this afternoon). Today I again toss the heavy baggage of my past and press forward.

www.amoymagic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!