Sunday, February 22, 2009

Save or Snare the Child?

Bill Brown .... Xiamen University
"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Prov.22:6

"Things like that must come. But how terrible for those who cause them!" Matt. 18:7

The childhood memories that really stand out are those in which adults did or said something that, in their eyes perhaps, was insignificant, but to me meant the world--such as the Big Bertha tank.

It took dad a year just to pay off the $100 loan for his 1956 De Soto, so we had few toys, though they did scrimp to buy us an encyclopedia set, and telescope and microscope, which to me were better than toys. So I made my own toys, and cigar box guitar, and garden-hose flutes, and sock dolls for my sister. But when I was ten I fell in love with the gigantic green plastic Big Bertha tank in the Charles Town, West Virginia IGA store. On our weekly Friday night trips to town, I'd look at the tank, and imagine firing its big red plastic cannon balls. I knew my parents could not afford it and so never asked for it, so imagine my surprise to find it under the Christmas tree on Christmas morning! The manager had seen me looking at the tank, and gave it to my parents.

It was probably a small gesture for him, but it was one of the childhood kindnesses that I never forgot--an investment that I later multiplied in many other children because the IGA manager taught me how to have a giving heart.

Many small acts of kindness, or words of encouragement, literally built me up, and gave me hope. Yet I can also remember the times that an adult's careless or harsh words (or, worst of all, treating me unfairly) crushed my spirit as if it were an empty soda can beneath someone's heel, and implanted seeds of fear, mistrust, and resentment that are still a part of me today, even though the good memories far outweigh the bad.

Jesus loved children. He said, "Anyone who becomes as free of pride as this child is the most important in the kingdom of heaven." Mat 18:4 NRIV. Jesus encouraged us to receive Jesus as we receive Him. (Matt. 18:5). But he also warned that it would be better to be drowned in the sea with a millstone around one's neck than to cause a child to stumble (literally, to "trip up", "ensnare," or "entrap.").

Pretty strong words, because Jesus knew how easily these little lives can be either shaped for good or scarred for life. And though Jesus also admitted that, in this world, hurts are inevitable, he said woe to those through whom they come (Matt. 18:7).

Receiving Children We need to receive children as we receive Christ, and take care to build them up, not tear them down, because our world is never more than one generation away from total godlessness or anarchy. If we lose the children, we lose the future. But what children?

1. Our own children. It is a shame there is no training required to be a parent! My words and example tripped up my precious sons more times than I care to remember. Fortunately, my Father has been gracious in helping me to slowly change, slowly, and my sons are very forgiving. Still, I hope I do better with the grandchildren!

2. Our neighbor's children. Jesus said to "love your neighbor as yourself." Our neighbor is "anyone in need," and this includes their children. A kind word, gesture, or gift to the child of a needy person, or a day volunteering at the local orphanage, may sow a seed that reaps a great harvest in the generation to come.

3. The World's children. It is amazing that in an age of unsurpassed prosperity we still have unparalleled poverty and hunger. We may try to absolve ourselves by blaming poverty on ignorance or laziness--but the starving child cannot be blamed. Give to organizations like Samaritan's Purse or Red Cross.

Jesus prayed, "Thy Kingdom come, they will be done, on earth as it is in heaven..." Let us treat children carefully, for they are a precious gift, straight from our Father. Whether we save a child or snare it may help determine if we are one generation closer to our Father's kingdom, or one generation farther from it. Help a child today!

"Anyone who welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me." Matt. 18:5 NIRV

Note: Matt.18:7's "offences" is from the Greek skandalon, which is probably from the word kampto, for "bend " or "bow," implying "bent stick" or "snare."
www.amoymagic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!