Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hang out or Hang on?

Bill Brown ... Xiamen University
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2

“We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.” Charles R.Swindoll

Here in Xiamen 150 years ago, William Burns, the famous Scottish evangelist, bemoaned the fact that he had labored seven years without a single convert. But he stuck at it, and though he personally never saw a lot of fruit, he helped lay the groundwork for the Amoy Mission, which was the most successful of its kind. (Today, we have almost 1 million believers in Fujian province!).

"Trials of many kinds" are not my idea of a joyful experience, but they are the only way to develop the perseverance to "finish the race," as Paul put it, and as I was reminded while watching the annual Xiamen international marathon a few weeks ago, which is held on the island ring road, near our beautiful Xiamen boardwalk.

I used to run long distance (just for fun) and each year watching the runners fires me up to resolve to enter the following year. But after a few weeks, or months, other matters press, I spend less time jogging, and I end up running only part of it (10km) or none at all.

Persevere in Priorities I'd like to be an "iron man", like John Fischer, of our Xiamen International Christian Fellowship, but I don't persevere because, frankly, it is not a priority. But I do persevere in areas that are necessary for me--my daily quiet times, caring for my family, teaching, writing... And even in those areas I've been discouraged and thought of throwing in the towel at times. But I don't quit because I know that these are what I am clearly called to do. And while I can't say with James that trials are joy, they have indeed brought joy. It has been a joy to have a family, to teach, and to live in China (which was a trial in many ways!).

Trials Reap Joy I don't think trials are joy, but I do know that trials can bring joy if, unlike most people, we don't just go with the flow and hang out, but hang on. People are average not for lack of brains or talent but simply because they give up. Successful people are not necessarily smarter or more talented than average people; the big difference is that they persevere when those around them quit. They may joke that they're "cutting their losses" but they are also cutting off any hopes of gain as well. As Einstein said, It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer." If you are clearly led to do something, don't quit, whether it is great or small--especially if it is small, for it is the small things that lead to greatness.

From Small to Great The best Chinese MBA student I ever had was not only an excellent scholar but good at sports, social activities--everything she put her hand to. Her parents were teachers, and poor, but they taught her, whatever you do, do your best, and if you do small things well you may be allowed to do bigger things." That became her motto, and today she is very successful.

Dale Carnegie put it well. "Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves."

As we face trials today, I cannot, like James,"count them all joy," but I can look forward to the joy we will experience if we persevere and finish the great race set before us.

Related Blog: Want Success? Wash Those Dishes Well!

Favorite Perseverance Quotes

Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines. Robert Schuller

Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go. William Feather

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. Walter Elliott, "The Spiritual Life"

The great majority of men are bundles of beginnings. Ralph Waldo Emerson

www.amoymagic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!